Monday 29 September 2014

Living With Mental Health Problems♡

Todays post may be a bit heavy, but it is something that isn't spoke about very often - mental health.
 
Did you know that 1 in 4 people will suffer from some form of mental health issue at some point in their life?!
So why is it something that isn't spoken about very often? It seems because you can't see it, it doesn't exist.
Well it does! It could be that quiet girl you walk past every day, or that one guy that tries too hard to be accepted, everyone handles it differently, but I know one thing, most people with mental health problems will hide the fact they are suffering, because it is seen as being weak.
 
Guess what?! I'm taking a stand, and I am being brave, and admitting to the world, that I, suffer from mental health problems!
 
I was diagnosed with depression when I was only 16, because my mum kicked me out and I had to leave my life behind and start afresh, in a new town, with a new family (I didn't really have much contact with my Dad or his new family before this).
I wasn't kicked out for any particular reason, other than my mother isn't the nicest person in the world, an argument broke out over something pathetic, she then ended the argument with "pack your things and get out of my house", well I did something that shocked her, I didn't put up a fight to stay, I just went and packed my things, and she didn't like that. She shouted me back downstairs to tell me that I couldn't pack any of my things, and I wasn't allowed to leave with anything she bought or paid for, essentially wanting me to leave naked, luckily I had clothing that other family members had bought me, so I rang my Dad and left.
We haven't spoken since, other than an E-mail conversation, where she was just as horrible, she basically wants nothing to do with me.
So that's the story of how my depression started. I tried quite a few anti-depressants, swapping and changing to find something that works, nothing did, so I give up. I decided life was what I made it, if I wanted to beat it I had to have fun, how wrong was I!?! I lived my life staying away from home, and drinking a lot, doing things I am not proud of, to try and numb out the pain of my depression, it never worked in the long run, my problems were still there when I was on my own, even in a crowded room I could feel alone!
 
Well here I am, 8 years later, aged 24 (25 next month), and due to ignoring it, and not trying to find the right medication or help, my mental health has severely deteriorated. I finally went back to the doctors, and have been referred to a mental health outpatients unit where they think I have Bipolar disorder and possible Psychosis, I also have Anxiety which has gotten worse, suffering panic attacks in situations where I wouldn't usually get a panic attack.
That's a part of my mental health story, and I've just shared it with the world potentially.
 
Living with mental health problems, is twice as hard than living without, every day is a constant struggle, sometimes it can be hard to even get up in a morning, never mind getting on with every day jobs. With myself though, I can get on with what needs doing, I can get up in a morning and I always make sure my family has what they need. I push my problems to the back and get on with it, which in turn doesn't help myself, but my family come first to me.
 
As I said at the start, mental health effects everybody differently, whether it be mild, or severe. Most people hide it from the world because it's seen as a weakness, afraid of being laughed at, and bullied. Well it isn't a weakness, it can run in families, or a sign that you have simply been strong for too long, some people can suffer from it without any sort of trigger, everybody is different!
You're not weak, everybody has a breaking point, but the best thing you can do is seek help! I can't stress this enough, if any of you feel there is something wrong, asking for help is the strongest thing you can do! Even if you just tell a friend or family member. 15% of people diagnosed with depression commit suicide, now it may not seem like a big number, but it is if you think how many people get diagnosed with depression each year. People commit suicide because they feel alone, nobody to turn to, well that is not the case, there is plenty of help out there if you just ask for it.
 
There is a link here to the NHS 'Mood Zone' that has lots of help and advice to different mental health issues.
 
If any one feels suicidal, please contact the Samaritans, their UK website is here. The Samaritans are a group of volunteers that you can talk to 24 hours a day 365 days a year, you don't have to be suicidal to talk to them either, but they are there to listen and be there for you and everything is confidential.
I'm not quite sure about other organisations in different countries but please look them up in your area if you are feeling suicidal or need somebody to talk to!
 
If anybody would like to chat I am more than willing to listen, just drop me a message via my contact form and I will respond :)
 
I know I'm not the best at putting things like this into words, but I hope somebody out there read what I had to say, and hopefully I've helped someone, no matter how little.
 
Please remember your not alone.
 
 
LoveTaraBabii

19 comments:

  1. Tara you are so so brave to make this post, I'm so proud of you for doing it! I'm here for you whenever you need it & I think this post is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chick! Just thought I'd put it out there, as not many people will speak up x

      Delete
  2. Thank you for being so brave and sharing your story. To be able to do this speaks volumes in how far you have already come. I suffer from panic attacks too and understand how horrible these can be. I am on the end of an email if you want to chat. Big hugs to you x
    Amber
    http://www.sweetwordsprettypictures.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber, even though I suffer with all this, I'm still here fighting to help others, dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing as I always put others first! Yeah panic attacks are awful and so scary when they have no trigger! Big hugs back!!
      Tara x

      Delete
  3. This has been such an inspirational blog post I agree with all of it your right having a mental illness is not something to be afraid of but something to be proud of you shouldn't bee scared of what you think. You also gave some really good advice and you put that in words 10 times better than I ever could. It sounds like you had a tough couple of years but thats your past you now have to focus on you future. I love your blog it is so inspiring


    Mia xxx


    http://fashionssista.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment :) Yeah embrace it, it may be scary at times but it definitely is nothing to be scared of!
      Tara x

      Delete
  4. I think you were very brave for writing this post and I hope that the people out there who need to read this post and know that they are not alone in what they are going through finds this page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun, me too, like I say if I only help one person then I will be happy.
      Tara x

      Delete
  5. hi dear! new follower!!hehe:) I really wish you everything in your life from now on to be great and wonderful!! Never give up! thats so right! hope to see you on my blog!kisses!

    www.fashionizein.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey hun! Aww thank you!! I shall go check your blog out now and give you a follow for sure!
      Tara x

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for being brave enough to make a stand for mental illness. You've had a difficult past but things WILL get better. You've cut out the bad in your life and you're on the right track by getting help. Good luck! I'm always here to listen if you ever want to talk.

    http://ditsysprinkles.blogspot.co.uk
    ditsysprinkles@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon if more people took a stand then the statistics would lower and suicide rate would fall. Just a guess though.
      Aww thank you hun! Means a lot!
      Tara x

      Delete
  7. You're so brave for opening up about this and you're such an inspiration for coping with this everyday. I also struggle with depression, anxiety, eating disorder and social anxiety so your not alone in your battles! You deserve every happiness and well done on helping raising awareness! We can't be silent anymore! :) lots of love and I'm always free to talk! xxxx

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. Your comment is brave for also opening up about your struggles! You deserve every happiness also and I send out wishes that you get it. Nope no silence anymore! Lets SHOUT IT OUT LOUD for all to hear! Thank you darlin', Lots of love!
      Tara x

      Delete
  8. i just wanted to say that i've read a lot of your blog tonight and am so glad i found this touching post. i am so grateful for your invitation for others to seek help! i don't currently suffer from a mental health issue right now but i have plenty of close friends and family who do, and i will be referring them to this post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww well thank you for reading through my blog, and I'm happy that you're glad you found this post, hopefully raising awareness other people wont suffer, and will get the courage to speak out! I hope my post can help you friends and family in some way! I will be doing more posts on mental health in the near future, so keep your eyes open for them :) The more people I help the better.
      Tara x

      Delete
  9. thank you so much for sharing this on my blog! its a great post, very very helpful to anyone who can relate to mental illness, best wishes xx

    wiyld.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome! I will be doing more in the near future, I am actually doing what I can to learn about not only my own mental illnesses but others too, and will be sharing what I can to help spread awareness.
      Tara x

      Delete
    2. will definitely be looking out for these posts :) xx

      Delete

Thank you for your wonderful comment, and I do hope to see you around. I do try to reply to every single comment as soon as possible, so please check back soon. I also follow new followers to my blog, so keep your eye out for me on your page. LoveTaraBabii x